This petition was submitted during the 2010–2015 Conservative – Liberal Democrat coalition government
Petition REVIEW AND UPDATE UK HOUSING LEGISLATION TO PROTECT TENANTS IN THE PRIVATE RENTAL SECTOR
We request the Housing Minister, Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, to undertake an urgent review and update of UK Housing legislation to provide protection, worthy of a 21st century developed nation, to tenants. In particular, the following issues must be urgently addressed and loopholes in current legislation removed:
• endemic lack of security for tenants;
• endemic lack of rent controls;
• inadequate legal and local authority powers against landlords who neglect their properties
• preventing rogue landlords from using complex ownership and changes of ownership to avoid compliance with Improvement Notices
• failure of local authorities to fully take up their enforcement powers
• ensuring where local authorities use such powers that there is statutory duty of care to re-house tenants whilst work is carried out with the cost recouped from the landlord.
• ensuring where enforcement action is taken and the property upgraded, the landlord cannot make unreasonable rent hikes.
This petition is closed This petition ran for 6 months