This petition was submitted during the 2010–2015 Conservative – Liberal Democrat coalition government
Petition Fight obesity - reduce sugar consumption
Approximately 23% of the UK population is obese, and estimates suggest that the figure will double by 2050.
- Obesity costs the UK approximatly £12 billion a year.
- Obesity increases the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and inflammation.
- Sugar and processed foods are the leading causes of obesity and need to be regulated
- £66 billion a year is spent of fast food and carbonated drinks
Aim: Have sugar foods/ drinks regulated/ taxed. The desired result of this will be a significant reduction of sugar consumption in the UK. This will improve public health by reducing the incidence of obesity and related diseases.
Areas for discussion:
- A tax on high sugar drinks
- A tax on fast foods/ highly processed foods
- Regulation on sweeteners which may substitute sugar
- Collected tax to further support health
Further info at: www.blog.thehealthcloud.co.uk/2014/02/fight-obesity-epetition.html
This petition is closed This petition ran for 6 months