Petition Ban the use of metaldehyde (used in slug pellets) for domestic and agricultural use
We call for a ban on the use of metaldehyde products, to ensure that our water is compliant with existing EU rules, and to stop the poisoning of our wildlife, pets, and potentially ourselves.
- There is NO antidote for metaldehyde poisoning.
- Metaldehyde is commonly used in slug pellets
- With the recent rainfull increase in the UK,metaldehyde used in agriculture is being washed into the rivers in increasing amounts. Up to 100 times the EU limit for drinking water has been found in the Stour and Colne catchment areas.
- Normal drinking water treatment does NOT remove metaldehyde.
- While we are told metaldehyde pellets pose little risk to wildlife, pets or people, the Wildlives Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre regularly sees poisoned hedgehogs and the number is increasing. Only a tiny percentage of sick wildlife finds its way to a cente - the true numbers are likely to be much higher.
- Metaldehyde enters the food chain.
This petition has been archived
It was submitted during the 2010–2015 Conservative – Liberal Democrat coalition government