Petition Guaranteed help at A&E to prevent avoidable deaths from suicide
When you feel suicidal in the UK, doctors tell you to go to A&E. What you will find there is based on luck: will you find compassion? Or will you be judged and turned away? A majority of the time, the latter. Asking for help can be a turning point for individuals in crisis.
There should be a nation-wide, guaranteed response to individuals seeking help for suicidal thoughts and feelings in our hospitals.
The following procedure should be guaranteed as a standard response:
1. The contemplation of suicide or signs of severe mental distress is classified as a medical emergency.
2. The individual is processed on-site immediately.
3. The individual is taken to a “Calm Room”.
4. ‘Suicide Guarantee’ trained staff member speaks with the individual with attentive compassion.
5. A specialist professional involves the individual in creating a written plan to assure their immediate safety and ongoing treatment and/or support.
At 10,000 signatures...
At 10,000 signatures, government will respond to this petition
At 100,000 signatures...
At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament