Closed petition Allow disabled people to recruit live-in carers via Health and Care Worker visas

Enable disabled people with care needs to apply for a sponsorship licence and visas for live-in home carers from abroad. To do this, the Home Office needs to treat the disabled person as an approved employer and recognise live-in carers as a permitted occupation for this visa.

More details

In 2019/20, the UK had around 112,000 social care vacancies. A live-in carer is classified as unskilled and is on call 24/7. It is a physically and mentally exhausting role requiring stamina, patience and kindness. They need to live in someone else’s home away from their own home, family, partner and social circle. It is not a popular job in the UK. The dependent disabled need to recruit abroad, be self-reliant, spend 100% of budget on actual care and avoid agency fees.

This petition is closed All petitions run for 6 months

2,916 signatures

Show on a map


Other parliamentary business

Share your views on the National Disability Strategy with MPs

MPs on the Women and Equalities Select Committee have launched a new inquiry into how the Government’s National Disability Strategy is working, and how the Strategy might develop in the future.

They would like to hear the views and experiences of the public and interested groups as part of their inquiry, and they especially want to hear from as many disabled people as possible.

More information about the inquiry and how to submit your views is available in multiple formats (including audio, British Sign Language and EasyRead) here:

Among other topics, the Committee is seeking views on:

  • What progress has been made on the Strategy so far
  • How effectively the Government is communicating with disabled people
  • Inequalities faced by people with learning disabilities and autism
  • How the needs of disabled people can be reflected in the post-pandemic recovery

The deadline for sending your views to the Committee is Sunday 24 July.

What is the Women and Equalities Committee?

The Women and Equalities Committee holds Government to account on equality law and policy, and examines cross-Government activity on equalities. It's a cross-party committee of MPs and is independent of the Government.

Find out more about the Women and Equalities Committee:

Get updates on its work by following the Committee on Twitter:

The Women and Equalities Committee is a ‘select committee’. Find out how Select Committees work:

Get involved in the work of the UK Parliament

You can also sign up to the UK Parliament newsletter for the latest information on how to get involved and make a difference: