Closed petition Equalise support for hosts and refugees through Ukraine visa schemes
The Government should equalise support for hosts and refugees using the Ukraine Family Visa scheme with that available through the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
Refugees (and hosts) should have the same support irrespective of how they come in and not lose out. The schemes could be merged to achieve this.
Lack of support for Family visa holders and hosts can put a huge burden on them at a time of worry and stress. Compared to Homes For Ukraine, they miss out on:
- Min 6 months rent free accommodation; if they can't provide rooms in their own home or afford to rent privately, relatives at risk can't come here or may be homeless on arrival
- £10000 funding per refugee for councils
- £200 'welcome' for refugee
- £350 a month payment for host to cover costs
- 25% single person council tax rebate preserved
This petition is closed All petitions run for 6 months
Have your say on the Homes for Ukraine and Ukrainian family schemes
The MPs on the House of Commons Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee, want to speak to people with experience of the Homes for Ukraine and the Ukrainian Family schemes.
They want to hear from:
- Sponsors who have opened their homes under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme
- People who have fled Ukraine and found accommodation under the Homes for Ukraine scheme
- People who have fled Ukraine to join family in the UK, or have had family who fled Ukraine join them, as part of the Ukrainian Family scheme
How to get involved
You can apply to attend an informal, private meeting in Parliament with MPs on the Committee to talk about your experiences. The meeting will take place on Monday 5 December from 4 to 6pm.
If you would like to attend, please email the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please explain what scheme you have experience of and where you are from in your email.
Please note that there are a limited number of spaces available. The Committee cannot guarantee that everyone who wants to attend will be able to.
The Committee will be in touch directly if they decide to invite you to the meeting.
What is the Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee?
The Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee is a cross-party group of backbench MPs that looks into the work of the Government Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and its associated public bodies.
The Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee is a select committee. Find out how select committees work.