Closed petition Prevent all new North Sea oil and gas exploration
We want the Government to take all action necessary to prevent new North Sea oil and gas exploration. This includes preventing new licences being granted as a result of the current Offshore Licensing Round, and revoking powers for any new licenses for exploration to be granted.
We believe the following:
- There is a consensus in published research that developing new oil and gas fields is incompatible with staying below 1.5C of warming;
- The UK needs to demonstrate its commitment to move away from fossil fuels if we expect much poorer nations to do the same;
- For countries to use energy security to justify exploiting new oil and gas reserves would destroy any hope of fighting climate change;
- It will do nothing to address the current cost of living crisis.
This petition is closed All petitions run for 6 months
Other parliamentary business
MPs publish a report on how the UK can accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels
MPs on the Environmental Audit Committee have been investigating how the UK can accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels and secure energy supplies to tackle the energy affordability, security and sustainability crises facing the UK.
Report on accelerating the transition from fossil fuels and securing energy supplies
The Environment Audit Committee is calling for a national mobilisation, or ‘war effort’, on energy efficiency to reduce household energy bills, cut climate-changing emissions and reduce reliance on fossil fuel imports.
They argue that accelerating the transition away from fossil fuels will enhance the UK’s energy security, shield households from future energy shocks, and reduce the ability of aggressive and repressive regimes to use oil and gas supplies as an economic weapon.
- Read the Committee's report on accelerating the transition from fossil fuels
- Read the report summary
- Read a news story about the report, including comment from the Chair
What happens next?
The Government must respond to the committee's report, which was published on 5 January 2023, within two months. The Committee will publish the Government’s response on the Environmental Audit Committee's website.
What is the Environmental Audit Committee?
The Environmental Audit Committee is a cross-party group of non-Government MPs who look into how Government policies and departments contribute to environmental protection and sustainable development.
The Environmental Audit Committee is a select committee.
Get involved in the work of the UK Parliament
Sign up to the Your UK Parliament newsletter for the latest information on how to get involved and make a difference.