The petitions site is closed.

There will be a General Election on Thursday 4 July. This means that Parliament has been dissolved and that all parliamentary business – including petitions – has been stopped.

Find out more on the Petitions Committee website

Closed petition Seek visa-free travel to Europe for BRP holders

The problem is that holders of a UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), who are non-EU citizens, cannot currently travel to Europe using their BRP cards as a valid travel documents.

More details

A BRP is a biometric residence permit that is issued by the UK Government to foreign nationals who have been granted permission to reside in the UK for more than six months. The BRP serves as evidence of a person's right to stay and work in the UK.

Currently, UK citizens and citizens of some countries, including the US, Canada, Australia, and Japan, do not require a visa to enter most European countries for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

This petition is closed All petitions run for 6 months

25,639 signatures

Show on a map


Government responded

This response was given on 14 June 2023

There are no plans to lobby the EU to remove the need for all non-EU/EEA citizens, including UK citizens, to carry a valid passport when visiting the Schengen area. This is not a visa issue.

Read the response in full

The EU’s position on valid travel documents is that all non-EU citizens seeking to enter the Schengen area, including for visits up to 90 days within a 180-day period, must present and carry a valid passport. This applies to UK citizens as well as to all other non-EU citizens. The entry requirements are contained in the Schengen Borders Code and individual country information.

The UK’s biometric residence permit (BRP) is a secure immigration document which enables foreign nationals to travel to the UK and prove their right to stay, work or study in the UK. It can also be used as a form of identification within the UK. However, it is not recognised by the EU as a valid travel document. It is a matter for the EU and EU Member States to decide whether they are prepared to accept documents that are not valid passports in lieu of their normal entry requirements.

Visas are a separate issue to travel documents. The EU requires a visa before entering the Schengen Area for all of the citizens of countries set out in Regulation (EU) 2018/1806, Annex 1.

Home Office