Petition Call an immediate general election
The Prime Minister should call an immediate general election to allow the British public to have their say on how we are governed, we should not be made to wait until January 2025
Consistent opinion polling has shown the British public have lost confidence in the current government. The NHS is in crisis, the asylum system is broken, there are delays at the ports, and institutions are failing. The British people should be given a say on what to do next.
Parliament will consider this for a debate
Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate
Waiting for 53 days for a debate date
This response was given on 18 October 2023
Britain faces long-term challenges that need us to put the national interest first. Rishi Sunak and this Government are doing just that and it would be wrong to call an early general election now.
The impact of Covid and the war in Ukraine have created huge long-term challenges for Britain that require decisive action.
The Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, is making the hard but necessary long-term decisions for the future of the UK, unlike the politicians focused on the short-term and lacking the backbone to make the big changes Britain needs.
In January, the Prime Minister set out his top five priorities for 2023 to building a better, more secure, more prosperous future:
● Halve inflation this year to ease the cost of living and give people financial security.
● Grow the economy, creating better-paid jobs and opportunity right across the country.
● Make sure our national debt is falling so that we can secure the future of public services.
● Cut NHS waiting lists so people will get the care they need more quickly.
● Pass new laws to stop small boats, making sure that if you come to this country illegally, you are detained and swiftly removed.
The Government is putting national interest over self-interest, and is doing what is right, not what is easy.
The process for calling the next general election is clearly set out under the Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022. It would not be right for the country to call an early disruptive general election now.