Petition Introduce a 5p charge on single-use plastic straws.
Over 550 million plastic straws are used every day in the US & UK. Most plastic straws are not recycled. Plastic waste poses an enormous threat to wildlife, is a danger to human health and costs millions to the UK economy. A 5p charge on single-use plastic straws will reduce our plastic waste.
Almost every piece of plastic ever produced still exists today. Most single-use plastic straws are discarded, often winding up in landfill, or contributing to the 8 million tons of plastic entering the sea every year.
Following the introduction of the 5p charge on plastic carrier bags in England, usage fell by 85% in just 6 months. We can achieve the same with plastic straws.
#FinalStraw are campaigning to reduce single-use plastics in the UK. More info: http://bit.ly/2y73U3N
We want to leave our environment in a better state than we found it. Our 25 Year Environment Plan outlines how we will do that, including measures to eliminate avoidable plastic waste by 2043.
Read the response in full
The Government wants to leave our environment in a better state than we found it. The 25 Year Environment Plan that was published on 11 January outlines the steps that will be undertaken to achieve that ambition, including new measures to eliminate all avoidable plastic waste by the end of 2042.
This Government is already a world leader in tackling plastic waste, not only banning microbeads but also taking nine billion plastic bags out of circulation with our 5p carrier bag charge.
We recognise, however, that more needs to be done to protect our environment from the scourge of plastics.
The Government is looking at how the tax system or charges could further reduce the amount of waste arising from single-use plastics in particular, with the publication of a call for evidence due to be published soon. This will provide an opportunity to assess the environmental impact of plastic straws and other single-use plastic items like plastic-stemmed cotton buds and coffee cups.
In addition, we: -
• will remove all consumer single-use plastics (including plastic straws) from the central government estate offices;
• launched a call for evidence around deposit reward and return schemes for plastic bottles and other drinks containers at the end of last year;
• will extend the 5p plastic carrier bag charge to small retailers if a voluntary, industry approach is not effective;
• will work with retailers to explore introducing plastic-free supermarket aisles in which all the food is loose – giving consumers the choice to make greener decisions and promoting the use of less damaging plastic packaging;
• will bring forward a bid for the next round of Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund awards later in 2018 to help develop a pipeline of new, more sustainable materials that will have a lower environmental impact; and
• will do more to help developing nations tackle pollution and reduce plastic waste, including through UK aid.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
At 100,000 signatures...
At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament